Sunday, February 7, 2010

10 days to go


With ten days to go before I leave, I'm not yet feeling nervous. Or maybe I'm kidding myself? Maybe there are a few nerves, but they're minor compared to my desperation just to get out there and do this trip.

It feels like I've been waiting most of my life for this to roll around, even though it's only been 18 months or so.

Here are answers to some questions people have been asking me.

Where are you going? Hong Kong (2 nights), Taipei (8 nights), Paris (7 nights), drive from Paris to Nice (3 nights), London (6 nights) inc. Manchester (1 night), Boston (3 nights), New York City (7 nights), Los Angeles (2 nights). Total nights on the ground: 39 (+ 2 in the air).

Why Taipei? Really: why not? But if you must have reasons: I have seen a number of Taiwanese films that have made a really strong impression on me (Yi Yi (above), A Brighter Summer Day, The Wayward Cloud, Goodbye Dragon Inn). There's something compelling about a culture that is so young in some ways and so old in others. Also, I used to visit a Taiwanese cafe in Hawthorn that intrigued me. Their meals were so strange (fried chicken with rice, fried egg and pickled cabbage - the egg on top of the rice and smothered with tomato sauce) that no one went there. But I loved it. Also, all the other places on my itinerary are predictable Western tourist stops. Why not throw in something unexpected? AND it has provided me with a good reason to learn some Mandarin.

      What are you looking forward to the most? Driving around France is probably top of the list. (Perhaps I should've left longer for that?) I'm also in a total fantasy-state when I think about dining at the Hotel le Bristol (above). I know I shouldn't build it up too much. Where did I read: "The most pleasurable things about travelling are the anticipation and the memories; actual travelling is mostly about locating lost luggage"? Or something like that. Honestly, I'm most excited about the concept of being a free agent out in the world, able to explore whatever I want for six whole weeks. It's an incredible luxury and I don't intend to take it for granted.

      Are you going alone? Yes. Part of my reason for doing the trip is to put myself out in the world on my own. Approaching 30, I've never really done that and I feel the need to test myself. (Some 'test', I know, but it's a start...)

      Where are you staying? I've booked an assortment of hotels, B&Bs and self-catering apartments, all on the relatively cheap side.

      Don't think I'll post again until I'm actually abroad.

      4 comments:

      1. Wow, sounds like a fantastic trip. Was a bit surprised by your reason for wanting to visit Taipei; those were pretty decent movies. I would definitely put driving around France near the top of my list as well...

        ReplyDelete
      2. I actually think the meal at the Taiwanese Cafe sounds quite appetising too...must be a Clark thing?

        ReplyDelete
      3. If the best bits are the anticipation and the memories, you've only got about 12 hours of anticipation left, so make the most of them... and keep the blog going - it will be a great way of helping with the memories.
        We'll all miss you, but jealousy may override that occasionally (or mostly!)

        ReplyDelete
      4. Haha! Thanks Dad. I think I've actually had quite enough anticipation. Just ready to do it now! Will miss you all too, but will remember just how lucky I am to be doing it. What a luxury!

        ReplyDelete